Retief Skin Center uses the Dermapen
Dermapen is safer and more effective in piercing the skin than traditional skin micro needling rollers due to its unique vertical micro-needling technology. Dermapen’s multi-speed and adjustable needle depths allow the needles to pierce the skin’s layers at 90 degrees and increases the effectiveness of treatments by increasing the absorption of products, generating less pain and downtime for the patient. Dermapen can effectively treat hard-to-reach places (e.g. around the eyes, nose, and lips). Because of the vertical delivery, the needles can easily penetrate scar tissue. Dermapen promotes scar-less healing similar to fractional laser treatments, IPL, laser resurfacing, and chemical peels, but without the side effects and downtime. The mechanism of injury is a natural process, which makes Dermapen a holistic approach to skin therapy. Four major phases of physiological wound response help in stimulating new healthy tissue growth. First, an inflammatory response (1-3 days), to the initial injury promotes the chemotaxis response and proliferation of fibroblasts. The body’s platelets also respond to initiate a wound matrix. This response is the early phase of cell migration to remove debris and bacteria and stimulate the next proliferative phase. During the second phase (3-5 days), the new fibroblasts, monocytes, keratinocytes of the first phase continue to proliferate and multiply. New collagen will be laid down and deposited with new tissue formation. Next a fibrotic response (5-20 days), of growth factors are released and fibroblasts release collagen. Finally, the maturation stage of new healthy skin takes place from day 28 to two years after treatment. Collagens mature and stiffen and the matrix of new tissue shows 80% to full tensile strength.
What is Microneedling with PRP?
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) based cosmetic treatments have received a tremendous amount media attention as of late. Popularly known as the Vampire Facelift, PRP treatments have become recognized for their ability to completely rejuvenate the face; resulting in firmer and younger looking skin. This treatment provides dramatic results in wrinkle and fine line reduction, pore size reduction, scar and acne scar, pigmentation and stretch mark reduction and collagen production. The results are overall younger-looking skin with fewer
Benefits of Microneedling
- Rejuvenated Skin
- Tightens Skin
- Reduces Acne
- Reduces Pore Size
- Reduces Hyperpigmentation
- Reduces Fine Lines
- Firms the Skin
Advantages of Microneedling
- Needling does not damage the skin (as opposed to such methods as laser resurfacing and chemical peels).
- Skin becomes thicker. Collagen and elastin deposition increases.
- Any part of the body may be treated.
- The healing phase is short
- Less expensive, less risky and less damaging than laser resurfacing.
- Can be safely done in people with pigmented or very dry skin.
- Sometimes telangiectasia (broken capillaries) also improves, probably because the vessels are ruptured in so many places they cannot be repaired.
- The technique is easy to master using new specialized tools and does not necessarily have to be performed by a plastic surgeon or dermatologist.
- Can be done with topical anesthesia for limited areas.
Disadvantages of Microneedling
- Exposure to blood. The procedure is relatively bloody, much as dermabrasion.
- Needling does not produce as much new collagen deposition as laser resurfacing. However, treatment can be repeated and the results are cumulative, so after multiple treatments the results could be comparable to those of laser resurfacing.
- Herpes simplex is an uncommon complication and patients are instructed to use a topical antiviral drug if they feel the tingling typical of herpes.
What to expect and post-treatment instructions for micro-needling:
- Our staff will instruct you when to remove your numbing gel, do not remove it until told to do so.
- During the first 1-3 days you will look red (like a sunburn) and your skin may feel warm and tight.
- During the first 3 days: use a gentle cleanser, sunscreens and gentle moisturizers. Apply 1% hydrocortisone as needed for irritation. Avoid swimming, strenuous activity, exercising and sun exposure.
- We highly recommend you use a stem cell serum after your treatment to enhance the results. We recommend Neocutis Bioserum between and after your treatments to accelerate and maintain your results.
- Avoid makeup, retinoids, glycolic acids, vitamin C products, sunscreens and Essential Serum the first night.
- Additional instructions when PRP is used: Avoid retinoids for 2 weeks and avoid lasers and IPL treatments to the treated areas for 4 weeks after the treatment (although they may be performed before the treatment.)